Week Two: Best Places in Austin—My Pick!

A creamy breeze tickles your face as you slide into the clear water of Barton Springs—my favorite outside place in Austin!

Swimming in Barton Springs feels great against scorched-skin in summer… Got a flushed face and a stinging body? Take a dip! The water maintains a steady and cool temperature throughout the year. The springs are beautiful if you go for a morning swim, the water is clear, blue, and sparkly against the subtle mist. I love the sweet pleasure that you experience as the water rushes over your toes, making you tingle in the first moments. Once you slide in deeper, the water is like silky cream slipping over your skin as you glide through with smooth, easy strokes. Before I get in, my mind is usually clouded and cluttered, but once I’m out and glittering with shimmery droplets, my mind is completely fresh and bright. Going for a swim in Barton Springs is great.

Sweet, delicious, bubbly Mango lemonade chills my throat as it slides down easily. Where am I? I’m sitting on a squashy couch at The Clay Pit—the best Indian cuisine to ever touch your lips. From even the first tiny bite of food, a blast of amazing flavor explodes in your mouth; it’s like “perfect” spilling across your taste buds. The decor is warm and cozy, like the food. The Clay Pit fixes up the best brunch-buffet in town, usually sporting hot, filling foods adorned with thick, creamy, exotic sauces. I usually pick a yummy chicken plate. It’s warm, tangy and tender. It’s exceptionally soft, like what kids imagine clouds to be like. The rice is the best rice I have ever tasted. Its not sticky and clumpy like most rice, but every grain is excellent. The salad has just the right amount of dressing so it’s not drenched and sopping, but not dry and bland. Every bite of the salad you take, is filled with joy from the mildly spicy, but surprisingly sweet dressing. It’s not disgustingly sweet, like a bowl of sugar for desert, but sweet like fruit is sweet. Fluffy is definitely the word to describe their naan, it’s so soft, and light. The naan is especially tasty when dipped in Mango Chutney, a stunningly terrific sauce. More like dip, because it’s too thick and chunky for sauce. One of my favorite things at Clay Pit is their Mango Lemonade, which I mentioned earlier. It’s the most exquisitely delectable drink that has ever flowed down my throat. It’s everything I love in a drink, sweet, bubbly, tingly, delicious, cool, tangy, fresh, exciting. Mango Lemonade really sparks your taste buds with an electric shock of bursting flavor. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried it. The Clay Pit is the best food in Austin!

If you go to these two places, plus my amazing dance academy, all in one day, you should congratulate yourself on having the perfect day in Austin. You can be calmed, freshened, and electrified with a zap of good energy all at once.

These are the best places in Austin—my pick!