Week three: Deep

“I sit alone in this winter, clarity which clouds my mind…” Marcus Mumford’s voice blares clear and crisp through my ear buds. First, I was just curled up on my couch with my earbuds stuck in my ears, letting the blasting music soothe my ruffled thoughts when this line came spilling out into my head. My mind became tangled again, but quickly unknotted itself for the chorus to fill my tune-thirsty skull with its delicious melody.

This one quote really made me think, it made a clouding, cluttering burst of feeling swirl around me. This line is special, it holds a meaning that is so tragic and beautiful, it makes my teardrops transform into glittering jewels as they draw shimmering streaks across my face. This whole song is that powerful—it makes sparkling tears roll down my cheeks every time its sorrowful, lonely tune enters my ears. This quote—this line, is special.

I understand now, the symbolic meaning that the quote carries. I understand the melancholy words sweeping around my mind. My patience had begun to wear thin when at first I tried to piece it out word by word. One by one. At last I finally came to a tentative conclusion; Marcus Mumford has undergone a time of loneliness, maybe loss of a love. A time where he has been buried deep in cold sadness—this ties into the idea of being alone in winter. He hints that he has begun to realize what happened—thus the idea of clarity. Then all of this clarity, what he now understands, he is now constantly thinking about it—where the idea of a clouded mind comes in. I have had moments like this, moments of clarity when I can’t stop thinking about it. I know his feeling. I can relate.

Marcus Mumford writes all of his songs himself, except for one cover he’s done. He makes his songs really pull you in like crashing waves on a beach. His every word holds as much meaning as there are stars in the night sky, and his every word sparkles like them too. His every word is special and different, and each one is…

Deep.

20140326-152222.jpg

Photo Credit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-lerner/the-coming-entrepreneuria_b_656448.html

One thought on “Week three: Deep

1. I really like how you describe the music and how you compare it to waves on a beach. Your writing is really descriptive. I also love the picture you added that really helps me imagine what is happening. I love your writing and I can’t wait to read more. I also really love you blog it’s really cool.